Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Battle Of The Balms Round 2

Battle Of The Balms: Tins And Pots

This is the second post in my Battle Of The Balms series, and I'll be focusing on balms in tins and pots. I have quite a few this time - five, which is up from the three I had last time. If you've read a lot of my blog posts n the past then you may already be able to guess which one is going to win!

Today I'll be comparing the Starry Honey Essence Rosehip Lip Balm ($1.00 from ShopMissA), the Nivea Lip Butter ($2.99 at Ulta), Lip Shit Lip Balm ($6.99 at Blue Q), the e.l.f. Conditioning Lip Balm ($3.00 from e.l.f.), and the e.l.f. Lip Balm Tint ($2.00 from e.l.f.).














First we have the Starry Honey Essence Rosehip Lip Balm.
Pros-
-Quite moisturizing
-Super cheap
-Thicker consistency means you can use it as an overnight treatment as well as a balm
Cons-
-Super heavy floral scent that even I find a bit overwhelming, and product scents don't usually bug me
-The lid comes off easily so you can't throw it in your bag
-Harder to find (possibly only sold online)








Second in line is the Nivea Lip Butter. I'm showing the Raspberry Rose Kiss scent/flavor but it comes in a few others, including a plain one.
Pros-
-Super moisturizing
-The scented ones (especially this one) smell absolutely lovely
-Thicker consistency means you can use it as an overnight treatment as well as a balm
-Rather inexpensive, especially for the amount of product you get
-Easy to find (sold at most drugstores as well as at Ulta)
Cons-
-Can leave a white cast on your lips if you use a lot of it at once




Next is the Lip Shit Lip Balm. Mine is in Cucumber Mint but it comes in quite a few other flavors.
Pros-
-Pretty moisturizing
-Cucumber Mint flavor has a slight cooling sensation (I find it pleasant)
-Smells good, and if you don't like this scent it comes in other ones as well
-Fun packaging
Cons-
-If you really don't like the cooling sensation then this specific one isn't for you
-Although the price isn't outrageous, it is the most expensive on the list
-The very hard consistency makes it difficult to get a good amount on your lips. I find I have to dig a small chunk out and spread it onto my lips
-Not the easiest to find

Second to last is the e.l.f. Conditioning Lip Balm.
Pros-
-Quite moisturizing
-Pretty easy to obtain (sold both online and in stores)
-Has a nice tint
-Smells pleasantly like coconut
-Inexpensive (you get a good amount for the price as well)
Cons-
-If you don't like tinted balms (I don't very much) then it doesn't have a colorless option for you
-If you dislike coconut then you probably won't like the scent
-The color can be somewhat uneven







Lastly is the e.l.f. Lip Balm Tint.
Pros-
-Cheap
-Pretty easy to obtain (sold both online and in stores)
-Comes in a good range of shades
-Pleasant but light sweet scent
Cons-
-Not actually all that moisturizing
-No colorless option
-No scentless option
-You don't get a whole lot of product
-Texture is a bit odd (waxy and very little color payoff)







And the winner is...my holy grail lip balm, the Nivea Lip Butter! It may not be everyone's absolute favorite because of the white cast it can leave on the lips, but if that's literally the only bad thing I can say about it, then I don't see how I could not love it because I don't really care about that. It's the most moisturizing of the bunch by far, and I've actually used up a whole tin in the past as part of a project use it up. That's how I ended up falling in love with it. Nothing keeps my lips feeling as soft and smooth as this does. Wear this as an overnight treatment and pair it with a decent daytime balm and your lips will be in great shape in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment