Sunday, November 29, 2015

Starter Makeup

Simple Beginners Makeup Collection

If you're just starting out with makeup, you really don't need a lot, and none of it has to be high end. Of course, if you want a lot, or you want it to be high end, that's totally fine. But most people who are just starting out don't want to spend a huge amount, and they usually would be overwhelmed by too much. So I've put together what I think are the very basics, all at drugstore prices. I have not included brushes, but I will most likely do a seperate post on good, inexpensive brushes.

For the face, I would start out with a primer, a foundation or tinted moisturizer, and a concealer. Even the primer isn't a requirement, but it can help your makeup last longer. All three that I chose happen to be from Maybelline. You may also want a powder to set your foundation and concealer with, but some people skip this step. I would choose a powder over a primer if I had to choose, though.












If you have brows that you're happy with on their own, then feel free to skip this step. I personally am not in love with my brows, so I just use an inexpensive brow pencil from Essence. I don't feel the need to use anything expensive for my brows because this pencil works great for me.














As for eyeshadow, you only need two or three to create a simple but put together look - a crease shade, a lid shade, and, if you want one, a highlight shade. Wet' n' Wild makes some great single eyeshadows, so I chose those. You could also go with an inexpensive neutral palette, such as the Makeup Revolution Essential Mattes.













Blush is a great way to bring some color to your face after applying foundation. This specific blush is super pigmented, so you only have to lightly tap your brush into it to get enough color. Always make sure to blend your blush well for a more natural look.














As for eyeliner, all you really need is one black one, but you may want a colorful one for more fun looks, and a white one for your waterline, if that's your thing. You could get three separate ones, or save some money by getting some two-in-one liners. These NYC liners are great for beginners. I find pencil liner to be easier to work with then gel or liquid, although if you want a liquid liner, NYC makes a great black one. As for gel liners, the black one that Essence makes is great as well.










The Lots of Lashes Great Lash mascara was probably my first ever mascara, and I still occasionally repurchase it when I don't want to try a new mascara and want something that I know will work. A coat or two of this will give you lashes that pop without looking too unnatural. If you want your lashes to look a bit more voluminous, try the Covergirl Super Sizer. I'm not big on lengthening mascaras, so I don't have any to recommend.











For your lips, all you really need is a nude or pink lipstick that will go with almost any eye look. I like the e.l.f. lipstick in Flirtatious. They also make quite a few other colors, and for only a dollar, you can probably afford to get a few so that you have more options. Lipstick is my favorite makeup item, so I have a lot to chose from, but at the most you only really ever need four - a nude, a pink, a red, and a fun color like purple or orange for more out-there looks.











Lastly, you will want a couple of tools. You'll probably want a sharpener for your eyeliners and your brow pencil, and for beginners who are more prone to making mistakes, an e.l.f. makeup remover pen is a life saver. You'll probably also want an eyelash curler, but if your lashes naturally have a lot of curl to them, you don't really need one right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment