Wednesday, March 30, 2016

DIY Drawer Organizers

My DIY Makeup Drawer Organizers!

I want to start this post by saying that I absolutely didn't come up with this idea by myself - I found it on YouTube when I was searching for DIY lipstick storage. A really good tutorial is this one, although I skipped the spray adhesive and just used hot glue for everything. I did that because it's best to use spray adhesive in a well ventilated area, but the only well ventilated area I would have had enough space would be outside, and it's been raining a lot lately, so I chose to just use hot glue. I also was able to find pre-cut trim at WalMart rather than getting two different fabrics. Other than the things I already had (like the hot glue gun and scissors), I got all my supplies from WalMart, and I'll list everything down below or something similar if I can't find the exact thing I got.

The Paris-Themed Trim (I couldn't find it on WalMart's website, but this is what I could find. It is definitely available in my local store). I got two packs.

Fabric - I can't find a link to the fabric on the site, but I believe I got the color So Mauve or something along those lines. I got four yards, although three would have been more than enough.

Foam Board - My WalMart was selling single boards for about $2.00 each, so four of them came out to about $8.00 while ordering two packs of two online would cost almost $16.00, so I suggest checking out your store rather than ordering online.

I already had everything else I needed, so now I'll show you before and after pictures of each drawer along with measurements and details about my drawers. I have the Ikea Alex 9 Drawers and I made organizers for the top three drawers. When I measured the bases of the drawers, they were about 11 3/4 in x 16 3/4 in inside. I cut the base pieces of foam board to this size but I did end up having to trim them all down a bit. I made the sides of my organizers 2 1/2 in tall, but you have too keep in mind that the base piece will add about another quarter of an inch to the height. I measured some of the dividers for my organizers in centimeters and some in inches, depending on what would fit my products better.

Here is my face drawer before (the before pictures are from January)...


















...and here it is after! I'm super happy with how it turned out. Everything fits perfectly where I want it to and I can find things really easily. The powder organizer is 9 1/4 in x 3 1/2 in and the other section is 9 1/4 in x 8 in (approximately). I just put extra products in the remaining space and I was satisfied with how it looked.













This is my eye drawer before...


















...and this is it after! It's still quite messy, but at least now I have a much better idea of where things are. The mascara area is 4 in x 5 1/4 in and the eyeshadow/tools/brow stuff area next to it is 7 1/2 in x 4 in. The eyeliner area is 6 in x 6 1/4 in. I store lashes and quads/trios/duos in the remaining space.














My lip drawer is the one I'm the most proud of. Here it is before...

















...and here it is after! The lipstick holder is 12 cm x 25 cm and each square is 2 cm x 2 cm. It holds 40 lipsticks. The sections to it's right are both 3 1/2 in x 8 in and the back section holding all my sample size lip products is 12 cm x 6 in. I'm storing extras and bulky things in the remaining space. I know that the last four lipstick holder squares are a bit off but I measured them a bit wrong and I honestly don't care because it looks mostly fine anyways. I would suggest possibly making your lipstick holder squares 2 1/2 cm x 2 1/2 cm because mine fit some of my lipstick a bit tight and they can be a bit hard to get out, but otherwise I think this drawer is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment